Detroit’s Shinola Hotel Named CAM Magazine Project of the Year 2019
At the 134th Annual Meeting of the Construction Association of Michigan (CAM), held February 12, 2020, at Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, the association announced that Detroit’s Shinola Hotel was selected as the 2019 CAM Magazine Project of the Year. Located in the heart of the city’s historic Woodward shopping district, Shinola Hotel occupies five buildings, the main structure built in 1915. The unique urban hotel was also named to Conde Nast Traveler’s 2019 Hot List of the Best New Hotels in the World.
CAM Magazine’s Special Issue, featuring construction projects performed in Michigan over the past year, is published each October. The Owners, General Contractors, and Architects from these projects are interviewed and sites toured prior to the writing of the feature articles that make up this issue. The Project of the Year is selected by the CAM Magazine Editorial Advisory Committee, magazine staff, and an online vote.
CAM is currently accepting submissions for its Special Issue 2020. Project entries must be constructed or designed by a CAM member, and must have been completed – or reached substantial completion – between June 2019 and June 2020. The deadline for submitting Special Issue 2020 projects is Friday, March 6, 2020. Advertising opportunities are available. Visit https://buildwithcam.com/cam-magazine/ for more information and to submit your project.
The list of the finalists and their project teams from CAM Magazine Special Issue 2019:
2019 Project of the Year:
- Shinola Hotel (Detroit). Contractor: Barton Malow Company; Architects: Kraemer Design Group and Integrated Design Solutions; Owner: Bedrock
2019 Finalists (in no particular order):
- Mike Ilitch School of Business (Detroit). Contractor: The Christman Company/L.S. Brinker Joint Venture; Architect: SmithGroup; Owner: Wayne State University
- The Legacy (Bay City). Contractor: Spence Brothers; Architect: Quinn Evans Architects; Owner: Jenifer Acosta Development
- I-75 Over Rouge and Goddard (SW/Melvindale). Contractor: C.A. Hull Co., Inc.; Engineer: Alfred Benesch & Co.
- United Shore Financial Services Headquarters (Pontiac). Contractor: The Dailey Company; Architect: Integrated Design Solutions; Owner: United Shore
- Flex-N-Gate Detroit Manufacturing Facility (Detroit). Contractor: Walsh Construction Company; Architect: IBI Group, Inc.; Owner: Flex-N-Gate Corp.
- University of Michigan Biological Sciences Building (Ann Arbor). Contractor: Barton Malow; Architects: SmithGroup, Ennead Architects; Owner: University of Michigan
- AUCH Headquarters (Pontiac). Contractor: AUCH Construction; Architect: HED; Owner: AUCH Construction
- Hub Ann Arbor (Ann Arbor). Contractor: Spence Brothers; Architect: Myefski Architects; Owner: American Campus Communities
- Dexter Early Elementary Complex (Dexter). Contractor: Granger Construction; Architect: TMP Architecture, Inc.; Owner: Dexter Community Schools
- Oakland Center — Oakland University (Rochester). Contractor: The Christman Company; Architect: Integrated Design Solutions; Owner: Oakland University
- Wagner Place Downtown Development (Dearborn). Contractor: Roncelli, Inc.; Architect: Neumann/Smith Architecture; Owner: Ford Land